Springbrook is looking for a Senior Database Engineer to join its Cloud Operations and Site Reliability Engineering team. This is a high engagement position that will act as a liaison between the development teams and infrastructure team to deliver high performance, highly available and extensible data solutions. Responsible for technical leadership with respect to database design, physical modeling, index optimization, data security, data backup and recovery, and data transformation. You will continually assess, improve, and optimize our current database environments.
This role has both operational and engineering research responsibilities. You will be responsible for researching and recommending technology direction and solutions, while also mentoring and assisting the SRE team with operational monitoring and management of the data services. Springbrook’s primary database technologies today are Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Standard Edition, and limited use of Azure SQL. Your role will be instrumental in guiding Springbrook’s evolution to new database technologies across our application platforms for transactional and analytical purposes. You will help to develop and improve existing database, monitoring, alerting tools, provide updates to existing infrastructure, and extend and automate our service model.
This position can be fully remote though preference may be given to applicants who currently or will reside in the Portland, OR, Metro area.
- Design, implement and manage/optimize highly available transactional databases for multi-tenant SaaS application platforms.
- Design, implement and manage data transformation and movement (ETL/ELT)
- Design, implement and manage/optimize data warehouses to providing analytical services for multi-tenant SaaS application platforms
- Design and review for security at the data and infrastructure levels
- Design, implement and manage database backup/recover and BCP/DR processes
- Design, implement and test DDL, DML and queries for multiple database platforms
- Implement monitoring for database health, availability, and performance with tuning as needed
- Ability to be a leader/mentor to the other engineers
- Prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter who can collaborate with others in a cross-functional team or work independently as needed
- Participate in an on-call rotation for issues that occur after business hours
- Participate in incident response teams for service interruptions or security incidents
- Eight (8) years of database development experience
- Three (3) experience with Microsoft Azure public cloud computing environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Information Systems or a related field; or an additional two (2) years of relevant work experience
- Previous experience as a Sr DBA or Lead DBA preferred
- Understand service-oriented architectures
- Designing and tuning high-performance transactional databases for multi-tenant SaaS applications
- Understand data warehouse design and optimization
- Attention to detail, meticulous documentation, and repeatable process design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience developing application database solutions with a medium-to-large scope and complexity
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with various database systems (Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL, MySQL, Oracle
- MS degree in Computer Science/Information Systems or a related field
- Utilize automation tools to build, maintain and manage infrastructure (Terraform, Packer, Azure Runbooks, PowerShell)
- Assist in compliance initiatives (PCI, SOC, NIST, etc)
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Experience implementing complex service solutions following the latest architecture patterns
- Experience with modern cloud-based analytical database systems (i.e. Snowflake, Amazon RedShift, etc.)
- Experience with Azure security and compliance capabilities
Applicants must have the unrestricted ability to work in the United States (sponsorship will not be offered)
Preference may be given to applicants who currently, or will upon hire, reside in a state where we actively have operations (AZ, AR, CA, FL, GA, ID, IA, KY, MA, MN, NV, NH, NY, OH, OR, TX, VA, and WA).Commitment to Diversity:
Springbrook Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Springbrook does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
About Springbrook Software
Springbrook Software is the leader in cloud-based ERP and payments software for local municipal governments and special districts. For over 30 years, Springbrook has set the industry standard for how for how small and medium sized municipalities and utility districts operate with high efficiency, economy, and security. More than 1,000 cities, towns, and districts from coast to coast use our suite of modern, high-performance solutions to manage their finances, payroll, and utility billing. We believe in a citizen-centric government that empowers its community with financial transparency, efficiency, and a seamless payment experience.
We offer employees a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity, and collaboration. You will be empowered and engaged working with like-minded individuals who are driven and passionate about contributing to a market-leading software organization with proven technology.
While we are busy changing the world, we also strongly believe in having fun and excitement at work as well as encourage a collaborative and healthy work-life balance. We also offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
If you are motivated by the idea of delivering on the promise of solving for a new era of more efficient, open, and innovative governance, then we'd love to hear from you.